Friday, January 22, 2010

Enjoy the presence of the Buddhas

One thing that I especially like in Jodo Shinshu is the feeling of  Buddhas being close to me, walking with me, seeing me in my daily life, watching over me.

Buddhas are not just teachers. If you think of the Buddhas only in this way, then the Buddhas will seem very far from you, somehow secluded in their Enlightenment, while you are here to struggle alone following their example. However, this is not the single side of the coin. Buddhas are indeed teachers and fingers pointing to the moon”, but they are also saviors, active in your daily life. They walk with you, think of you, see you, make plans how to make you understand important things and guide you to Amida. Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and Masters are alive and active – this is a matter of extreme importance.

You can speak directly with the Buddhas, with Amida, Avalokitesvara, Mahasthamaprapta, with Shinran, Honen, Rennyo, Nagarjuna, Shantao, etc. In your times of sorrow or in your happy times, you may chose to speak with Amida directly because He is indeed in front of you (this is not a metaphor!).

Buddhas are in your room, in your car, in the train you are travelling with, in the bar where you drink a beer and enjoy good times with your friends, in your solitude when you find it so hard to endure your sorrow. Amida is always with you, so it is Shinran Shonin. Please remember this from time to time and I am sure that you will find great comfort in it.

Don’t bother with what some people might say, interpreting Buddhas only in their aspect of ultimate nature or Dharmakaya, because Buddhas, like Amida – and Shinran too, who is also a Buddha – have transcendent bodies of manifestation that can travel and be present everywhere, and can hear and see everything.

Amida knows everything, hears everything and sees everything. He always accompanies you together with all other good friends you have among Buddhas, Bodhisattvas and the Masters. So, you are never alone, my friend.

Master Shinran said on his death bed:

 

“If you alone rejoice in Nembutsu Faith, remember that you are with someone else. If you two rejoice in Nembutsu Faith, remember that there is still another accompanying you. I, Shinran, am that other person.”

 

Take these words literally and enjoy the presence of the Buddhas.

6 comentarii:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wow. A wonderful post at just the perfect time for me. Thank you so much.

Marcus

Anonymous said...

Dear Adrian,
Yes! I think this is something that is lacking.
When I speak to some "intellectual" Buddhists, they tell me that Buddhism is meant for the "thinking individual". But this is what I need!
Thank you.
Namu Amida Butsu

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for being one of the few speaking true words, as Shinran or Honen would of, in the age of decline.

Peter

Jeanette Yuinen Shin said...

Dear Rev. Josho,

Thank you for your wonderful post. This is the kind of teaching we need to hear today.

Namo Amida Butsu

Shaku Egen said...

This is so wonderful to hear, Josho! I am not alone. We are not alone. The Buddhas and bodhisattvas are with us always. Amida Buddha is with us always and hears and understands all our thoughts and experiences with perfect wisdom and compassion. What a beautiful thing to realize!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Josho Adrian.

You are a true teacher of the pristine Dharma. I am proud to call you my Dharma friend.

Gassho,

Paul

Dharma talks on my youtube channel